01 September 2010

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - ,, 24 comments

Black and White Wednesday - The love of the bay

Living at the ocean has provided us with a different life than I could have ever imagined when I was growing up in the foothills of Los Angeles.  One of the most incredible privileges we have is to be able to visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium whenever we want and we do go as often as possible!  Besides it's location, it has a special place in our hearts and will forever be a place we will always be a part of.

These pictures are from our visit last week.  The day was a mix of beautiful sunshine and heavy drippy fog moving in.  The aquarium was busy as usual and we were lucky to be able to see a group of youngsters learning to dive in the outside pools.  I've always wanted to see that!  It was pretty cool to see the pure joy in these kids faces.  I love how the transition to black and white really shows the wear and tear on the sea wall of the buildings.  I love how the ocean takes on a new life in black and white.


"The sea does not reward those who are too anxious, too greedy, or too impatient. One should lie empty, open, choiceless as a beach--waiting for a gift from the sea."
- Anne Morrow Lindbergh




When Big J was a baby he and I would spend his nap time in the Jellies exhibit completely entranced and in total calm for hours.  The aquarium was newly opened then and very quiet compared to now and we could sit on the floor of the exhibits without disturbing anyone. Sometimes we would find ourselves on the upper deck of the Outer Bay and lay on the benches in darkness to listen to the soothing music and watch the wall of glass move in front of us.  It was those same benches eleven years ago where Mike dropped to one knee and proposed to me with our children on either side of him.  Now we make new memories with our cricket and the memories of the past are so much sweeter now that we get to relive them again through the eyes of a small child.  It is a magical place for us.

Happy Wednesday and the first day of September!  For more black and white beauty, check out Lisa's blog!


24 comments:

You're right about the ocean taking on an entirely new life in black and white. I love how peaceful yet dramatic it looks! Really lovely photography!

Donna
Our Blog: Double Happiness!

These are gorgeous pictures. I love them. Great job.

I love these!! =)Wonderful entry!

What lovely photos... I agree that the ocean takes on a completely different demeanor in b&w.

Beautiful photos! Very dramatic! They have almost a vintage look to them that is very cool.

Erika B

These pictures are outstanding! And, the description is wonderful. You have a way with words my friend.

Lea
xo

I loved reading about your proposal and your time at the bay. What a special place.

Greta pictures. Perfect in black and whites.

Kayce, thanks for your comment.
The Monterey photos are wonderful.
How did you get those intense darks, etc? Great composition and writing too.

re the cell phone stalker, maybe something like, 'May I help you?'
or just 'Do you always take pictures of people's children without asking'?
Some creep in the goodwill store once asked me, in earshot of our daughter, "Where's she from?" . I said the U.S. and he snidely said, "Really?" And he continued to hover nearby.
I walked away to another part of the store, and made sure he was nowhere in sight before we left the premises.

Lovely, lovely, lovely.

Marla @ www.asthefarmturns.wordpress.com

beautiful pictures of a very special place.

What a neat take on the ocean...I loved these!

Cool pics! You live in such an awesome part of the U.S.

Totally unrelated to your post, but I started watching a documentary on KQED last night about the adoption of a young Chinese girl by a family in New York. (I have to finish watching online as it went on past my bedtime, but it was really compelling). I thought you might like to know about it.
http://www.pbs.org/pov/woainimommy/

Your photos are beautiful! Absolutely beautiful and your writing is great. My next move is to become your newest follower. Oh, and thank you very much for stopping by my blog today and for your kind words!

Gorgeous pics. I love the memories you've made there. What a truly special place for you.

Wow, these are some seriously awesome BW photos!! I love them. :)

Amazing! These look like they could be a postcard!!

Beautiful! I love the first shot!

The photos are awesome and I love the quote! I haven't been to the Monterey Bay Aquarium in years, I will have to go visit again :)

Photos with great memories are so meaningful, and you really have great memories at that aquarium.

And I agree, the black and white conversion does bring out the details of the sea wall.

Wow what wonderful pictures! I have to agree about never imagining what it would be like. When I moved to NM I certainly never expected to live rural, be married to a farrier have a houseful of kids and horses too. ;) But I miss the west coast. Nice shots.

P A I N T I N G S Alike
Me Heart :)

These images are beautiful in black and white Kayce...... I love how different things like this look when you convert them......it always seems to add a little more interest and drama! Really pretty!

enjoy your holiday weekend~

Lisa