06 January 2010

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 16 comments

The ups and a down.

Since getting TA, life has gone into hyper speed! I had finally accepted the fact that we weren't going to be traveling until late February so I've just been going at a nice pace and enjoying the time getting ready, finishing up details at home and just puttering. Well that's completely changed. I'm now taking things off my list at mach speed or at least trying! If you've "been there done that", give me what I need to know! :) As for anyone who has traveled when it was Super Bowl Sunday...my boys need some advice on this...my advice has been, "oh well!" :)

We've got most of the details set and checked...Grandpa coming to spend some time with his dogters, THANKS DAD!!!!! Travel blog set up and ready!! Bookmark it folks! Big J's school in the loop! And let me tell you that Big J has the sweetest deal here! He goes back to school NEXT Tuesday from the holiday break and will be there for a whole 9 days before he's off again for three weeks and a trip of a lifetime! He will be blogging himself for school credit and as soon as he has that set up and is willing to share with everyone, I'll post the link! My travel insulin pump (an extra incase my pump malfunctions on the trip, which wont happen I'm sure!) and supplies are ordered and will be here in the nick of time. Money ordered. Visas in hand. Last days of work ahead! The list is getting smaller and smaller already!

So that's all the ups and now unfortunately there is a down, hence the post title. As you may remember, my grandma has bladder cancer. Surgery was completed soon after diagnosis and all cancer was removed she then completed 6 weeks of chemo washes of her bladder and we have all been very hopeful that the cancer was gone. Yesterday we found out that the cancer is back and more masses have been found. Besides us, the doctor and my grandma are extremely disappointed as expected. I had a moment of tears and sadness but am trying to stay strong for my hero. So a new treatment plan is in the works, a bit more invasive with more side effects. If this treatment is not successful the next step will be removal of her bladder. She more than any of us does not want to get to that point. My sweet grandma is such a fighter! Please continue to keep her in your prayers! Thank you!

I was looking for the perfect picture to put with this post and this is the best one I could think of....because cancer sucks!

16 comments:

I am so very sorry to hear that the cancer is back. I will keep your Grandma in my prayers.

I'm so sorry to hear that your Grandma is sick again. You will all be in my prayers.

Oh gosh Kayce, I am so sorry to hear the news. I will keep your grandma in my prayers. I know she is a fighter!

xo,

Lisa

I. Loathe. Cancer. I am so sorry to hear this news... your grandma will be in my thoughts and prayers.

And oh, the whirlwind that is time between referral and travel. Glad to hear you have an extra pump. I was loaded up with asthma medications and allergy translation cards. It was a good thing to have extras.

I'm so very sorry to hear about your grandma....cancer does suck! It has taken everyone I love.

On another note: the time after TA is hyped up. So much to do and plan for. As far as blogging from there, you need a back up blogger. China had everything blocked when we were there except FB, but I have since heard that was blocked. Maybe set up a My Space and wait to see where you can get access. It really depends where you are at as well. So excited for you!

Kayce I am so sorry to hear about your Grandma : ( I will keep her in my prayers.
I bookmarked your travel blog and I'm ready to follow along...as for football sometimes the local bars will have football on...but usually in Chinese LOL
I took my son Tyler with me to China in 2005 and he was 15 at the time.The high school was awesome!!! Infact most of the staff followed our travel site and left comments. Once Tyler was back at school he did a documentary on China with a picture slide show for the school and for extra credit.

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother.. She is in my thoughts and prayers always.. as you and your family...
I postmarked the site and would not miss a beat.. I will be beside you ALL THE WAY... as for J's blog.. I will be on that one also..
You will have everything done and ready by the time you leave.. just keep track cause you will have to tell me how to do everything..
Hugs.
Love ya girly..

I never blogged about this but my dad had bladder cancer that came back again after treatment and he fought it (again) and it seems to be gone.

It's a hard battle and my heart goes out to your whole family. Especially your sweet Grandma.

xoxo

Donna
Our Blog: Double Happiness!

Hey there amiga, so sorry to hear about your grandma. Cancer sucks. We will keep her and your family in our prayers. Ups and downs, it always seems one has to be with the other...

To the other part of your post, having just BTDT, make sure you take an all-in-one fleece coverupthing that includes feet and a hat so you don't get yelled at when you are out and about. Don't forget a thermos for hot water and the little rubber diaper cover-ups were a huge help to us as the Chinese diapers aren't so great. Other than that you can get most everything else you need there - I would take more US formula then you think you need (the Chinese stuff gave most of the kids in our group rashes) and take baby food with you to Guangzhou, you can't find anything but random mystery meat there. (Wal-mart in Nanchang had a good selection.) That's my two cents. (I took too many shoes, not enough tshirts for the hotel room, not enough blankets for her as it was freezing in Nanchang and we took a blanket with us everywhere, and was glad to have a 'decent' outfit or two.)

We are so excited for you and can't wait to watch your journey. It's amazing and will go by so quickly! Enjoy every minute of it! Hugs!

OH, and FYI they weighed the bags in Beijing but not in Nanchang, which made me wish I had bought more pottery!

PS Don't be scared of the Chinese pharmacy - everything Elsie got for the kids worked wonders! In fact we brought some stuff home with us it was so great!

I'm sorry your grandmother is having to fight this baddle. Prayers for her. As for the football fans I would say suck it up this is a once in a life time and you can have it taped for them to watch when they get home. Im so happy things are moving quicker then expected

Kayce,

I am so sorry to hear about the return of the dreaded CA word!! That is the pits. We will be praying for your Grandmother. She is so cute and spunky!! She will fight I just know it.

Yeah for all of the excitement post TA! I heard you need a special hook up in China to be able to blog from there. I saved it some where and will email you with the info.
One way to do it is to have a family member or friend that you allow to be a publisheron your blog. So you want to set it up ahead of time. Then what you can do is email them the pictures and the posts. They in turn post for you on your blog.

We will be watching and waiting for your precious pictures! We told our agency we want to wait until Feb. to travel due to my ankle needing to heal. Which buys us some time!! Yippee... yes and no. I so want to have him in my arms but there is still alot to arrange to go also.

Hugs my friend!!
Jody

I am very sorry to hear about your grandma. I will keep her and all of you in my thoughts and prayers!

Travel site - bookmarked. Would you think I was rude if I made it my home page for a couple of weeks. :o) I'm hoping you blog a LOT!!!

I am so excited that you don't have to wait until the end of February! I couldn't believe your wait was that long. I am so very excited for you!!!

so excited for you Kayce. I loved your Xmas card.

And, yes, I agree, f..k cancer!

Lea
xo

Hugs my friend! Be strong!!!

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma. I will pray for her and your family.

Best wishes.

Allison