18 June 2008

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 10 comments

Names I wish I didn't have

I've been called many things in my life, several of which I will not share with you as they are too embarrassing. But in my current line of work I am not without a name. As a house cleaner I come with a title, here are a few...

My maid. Yes I have been called the maid. Actually it was kinda cute, for about 30 seconds. I was cleaning a friends house who is single with two children and she has 2 teaching jobs. So when I would be at school doing yard duty or just on campus my friends daughter would call me her maid. UMMMM. This little girl was so enamored with calling me her maid, she told all of her friends to call me her maid as well. That title only lasted a few moments, as I told her mother that I was in no way ANYONES maid. While I do not clean this house anymore, I am still this woman's friend. An honor.

That lady that comes to our house. Yet another child gave me this name. Funny thing is, is that I spent a lot of time with this child and her family not only inside their house, but also outside yet I was still called that lady that comes to our house. I have no real name there, just that lady. This was my very first client and I have watched the three girls go from kindergarten to now in 4th and 7th grade. I am blessed to know this family.

House keeper. Now this title I am okay with, but not fond of it. I am more unfond of the title when I am introduced to someone as "the house keeper". Mind you that the person knows my name, but still will introduce me otherwise. This is most upsetting when it is done in public. Yes just the lowly house keeper. These types of clients are generally not ones I like to keep, I will do my job, but not go out of my way to be anything more than what I am to them.

Goddess. My personal favorite. Need I say more. Several of my clients have called me that and I don't mind one bit. LOVE these guys!

Friend. My most coveted. My most cherished. In the four years that I have cleaned houses, I have made several friends or strengthened an existing friendship. I do clean several friends houses and keeping them tidy and organized is rewarding for me. But to clean a perfect strangers house and then become their friend is a honor. Recently one of my long standing clients took a job in another state. They randomly called me from the phonebook four years ago looking for a house cleaner. I may loose the business, but I will not loose the friendship and that makes me realize that all the money I've made from them was pennies compared to what I've gotten in the long run. A relationship that will travel the distance.

While being a maid, that lady, house keeper, goddess or friend has it's peaks and valleys, it is my job and I truly love doing it. I may not be seeing my name in print anymore or traveling across the country dressed to the nines, but I do see the smiles on faces of those whom I have sterilized their toilets.

10 comments:

Love your new look!

Lea
xo

holy poop where have I been? your site looks so good!!

and damn it I AM a nurse, but i hate it when patients refer to me as just 'nurse'...

Someone once called me Dolly. I had to put an end to that right away. I don't know what they were thinking.

I always use "housekeeper" because it A) it's a respectful and B) it reminds me of Mrs. Danvers from Rebecca and let's face it, that woman ran the damn show.

The greatest will be when you are called Mom...
Soon.

I look the new look! When I worked in childcare my least favorite names were "babysitter"(I SO was NOT) and "that lady". As in, "Go ask that lady if she can heat your lunch up for you at lunch time". Hello! If you are going to leave your child with me for eight hours while you go to work, you better damn well know my name.

Would love for you to come visit on Sunday. Stacey and the kids are spending the night Saturday night, plus Lisa and family, so the there'll be a whole gang of us! I'll e-mail you with the campsite number.

Love the new look..
HUGS...

AWWWW!!! I LIKE FRIEND TOO BUT I THINK I WOULD REQUIRE MY CLIENTS TO CALL ME GODDESS!!! I DEFINATLY THINK THAT ONE FITS YOU THE BEST :)

I HAVE MANY NAMES AS WELL AND MOST OF THEM ARE OK BUT I HATE SOME. GLAD ALL IS WELL WITH YOU AND YOUR NEW LITTLE PUP IS FAR TOO CUTE!!

CHRISTY :)

I am not the maid, I find myself saying that one a lot lately, LOL.
My favorite names are Mrs. Askew or Momma, music to my ears...

Whatever your clients call you, I hope they appreciate you greatly. I love my housekeeper, Elizabeth. I came home once while she was still here and she was on her hands and knees cleaning my hardwood floors. She deep cleans the things I am unwilling to. I wish I could afford her once a week because she makes my life easier.

I am happy to call you 'friend'.

;-)