11 March 2008

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 17 comments

Preparing


First of all, thank you all VERY much for your kind words regarding Molly, it has ment so much to all of us. We have all been preparing for this, but now that it has happened, I find that I am so not prepared. I haven't stopped praying that the time frame will be closer to the six weeks maybe more. Please.

So with the preparation of loosing our Molly, we have to look at the whole picture. The doctors talked with me yesterday about how Ella will be with this loss. It will be the hardest on her and we need to be ready to deal with that. Ella has never been without Molly, not one night. When Molly would be gone all day for Chemo treatments last year, Ella would howl the entire time she was gone. If Molly is outside, Ella will wait for her at the door, for ever. So now I am gearing up for what to do. I will most likely be brining Ella to 2 of the houses I clean, so I'll need do get the okay from my clients on that. Then we're trying to figure out a schedule for someone to be home with her for the first few weeks, I only work 2.5 days a week so I'll be home most of the time, but Mike will have to either take her to work or stay home to work.

The doctor also talked to us about having Ella with us when it comes time to say goodbye. I think Ella would want to be there. Secretly I'm praying that Molly passes away peacefully in her sleep while napping in the sunshine on our next trip to Big Sur. When she does pass, we have already agreed that we will cremate her and scatter her ashes in the hills of Big Sur (the picture above). She LOVES it there. The picture in yesterday's post was from a trip we took the weekend after we found out she had cancer, Feb. 07. She was sound asleep in that shot, loving life. Here we are a little over one year later. The doctors did say one year, maybe three. I always thought it would be three.

Our last trip to Big Sur, two weeks ago, Molly was so full of energy and a smile on her face the entire time. Until the last day. As we were loading up the trailer and hooking it up to the truck, she just laid there and stared at us, we are kinda used to this from her, since she does it every time we leave camping. This time was no exception, except this time she wouldn't get up. She was sitting there staring at me as I was telling her to get in the car, lookin at me like an angst teen, then she turned her head and lay down. And wouldn't get up. Mike had to get out of the truck and help me convince her to get in and that we would come back. She stayed put. We actually got in the truck and started to drive a bit down the road, of course Ella freaked out and Molly still didn't move. She knew.

So in all our preparation we have a week long camping trip happening in 13 days. Then we will come home for the week and head back to Big Sur a few days. We are also going to start taking Ella on walks alone.

And I will start to prepare myself for this loss.

My mom took me to lunch today and to see the Ying: Inspired by the Art and History of China Exhibition at the Museum of Art and History in downtown Santa Cruz. It was wonderful to think about something else and to dream of China.

Thank you all again for your support and friendship. It is a wonderful feeling.

17 comments:

Kayce, I am so sorry you guys are going through this with sweet Molly. I have been there we lost Maggie Mae to cancer this coming April will be 2 years. Its hard to let go but you know they aren't suffering anymore. I will be thinking of you!

I am so sad. I wish I could be there to offer a hug and a ear to listen. Enjoy this time. Time to be treasured.

Keep smilin!

oh Kayce, when I tell you I went through the same exact thing, I am not kidding.
My Zeus fought for 6 weeks after his cancer was diagnosed, then he just couldn't any longer. We too tried everything, surgery, chemo, herbal treatments. And it was VERY hard on Jeter. Very, very hard - he had NEVER been without Zeus. I too, prayed each night for God to take him in his sleep. And I never left his side for those 6 weeks. It is the one thing I know in my heart I did right - I never left him.
I am rambling, but it is because i want you to know that I know what you are going through.
I am sending you and your girl hugs and prayers.
be well.

I am just so sorry. We lost our Tess this summer and I miss her every single day. So sorry.

Gosh, this is a thoughtful post. Molly sure picked a wonderful family.

Lea

Kayce,

Im so sorry about this. It is such a hard thing to lose one of our REAL family members!! You are right that it will most difficult on Ella so the walk idea is really a good one. I will keep your family in my prayers-- this is a tough one for everyone!

Christy :)

These are precious days for you and Molly.

I'm so sorry. She has had a wonderful life of love with you...keep that in your heart...

Hugs.............

This comment has been removed by the author.

Hugs to all of you during this difficult time.

Enjoy your time....thinking of you.

I'm so sorry to hear this news. As a fellow dog lover, I can only imagine how hard this is for you.
I'll be thinking of you and your family.

I am so very sorry to read about Molly's cancer. I KNOW how very, VERY hard this time is for everyone.

I had two litter mates for 13.5 years. Sadie and Miranda were rarely appart. Sometimes I would take Sadie out to the farm, and Miranda would stay home - she was the princess - but other than that they were always together.

Miranda got sick in January of '06, and in what seemed like no time at all she was gone. As difficult as it was for me, it was devastating for Sadie. It took her a LONG time to stop looking for Miranda. Sadie became VERY attached to me, and had a deep mounful cry every time I would leave.

Slowly over time she got better. She didn't need to sleep touching me, she got to where she just had to see me. She still cried when I left, but not nearly as long or as sorrowful.

I wish I knew of words that will help, I don't.

I am thinking of you and your furbabies.

Oh Kayce...I just don't know what to say, sorry just doesn't seem enough..I will be thinking about you during this difficult time. Molly will forever be in your heart

My heart is with all of you.

I am so, so sorry Kayce. Your love for her makes me tear up. I posted some shots of Santa Cruz for you for wordless. It was all I could think to do for a tribute. You are in my prayers and remember that time will heal the sadness.

It's never easy. Thinking of you.