30 June 2012

Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 5 comments

A strange night

After a busy week, tonight was quiet.  After dinner the request was made for a snuggle which quickly turned into a first for all of us...a very early bedtime.  I've never dressed my daughter in her jammies while she was completely passed out.  I held her and kissed back her hair and whispered I love you into her ear all before the sun even left the sky.  This is something that has never happened for us.  It feels almost unreal yet so normal and yet so real.  A first I guess.  I hope it happens again....soon!

I'm sitting here right now with music softly playing in the background, my husband within arms reach, the grandfather clock quietly keeping time beside me and the sounds of the day ending outside.  I've watered all the plants in the garden.  Picked a few weeds.  Read two magazines.  Enjoyed a sip or two of wine.  It's not even eight o'clock yet.  Then a squeak came from our daughter's room a few minutes ago and while we thought there were tears there was giggling.  Three bursts of giggles from a child who passed out almost two hours before her bedtime.   Then she fell back into slumber almost as quickly as those sweet giggles came out.   A strange night.

I think I might call it a night before the summer sky fully sets and enjoy my book....in bed.

5 comments:

LOVE.... glad you had such an amazing night..
Love you friend..

When sleeping is such a struggle I don't think anyone can really appreciate how those small, normal things can make a parents heart happy! Chloe got out of bed on her own today and I wanted to cry with joy that she finally felt secure enough to get out of bed on her own.

Sweet dreams :)

My heart is just breaking for you. I am so sorry and so sad. If I was there I would hug you for hours and hours.