19 January 2011

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 21 comments

Black and White Wednesday - What is a hero?

What is a hero really??

The dictionary defines a hero as:


–noun,plural-roes; for 5 also -ros.
1.
a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.
2.
a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal.

While I completely understand these definitions, I have to wonder if it's over thought.  It seems as though a hero would have a lot of pressure to be pretty outstanding all the time AND keep their cape wrinkle free.  That's a lot for one person.  For me I see my heros differently.

My hero doesn't have a cape.
My hero hasn't saved anyone from a burning building.
My hero wont get the Noble Peace Prize.
My hero will never cure a rare disease.
My hero isn't a superhero or even a superstar.

My hero is my grandma.  Why is she my hero?

Graduation day 1947
Because she's....

Beautiful.  Her beauty has always amazed me.
Honest.  She has always told it like it is no matter the situation or the person.
Brave.  She has lost two of her children and while I know it hurts her, she has remained strong and put on a brave face even when the pain is hard.
Funny.  There are never enough moments in the day to hear her spread her laugh.  I love listening to stories from her childhood through the present day.
Loving.  Her love is contagious and is such an inspiration to me in my walk through life.  

She may not know all these things about herself but I and others see them in her everyday.  I have had the honor of being in her life for 38 years and in those years I have learned so much, not only about her but about me!  I look in the mirror and I see her.  I look at my mom and I see her.  I look at my children and I see her.  I see her everywhere in my life because she has given me the tools to be the person I am today.


Her life to me has always been based around family.  Her joy is her family first and foremost.  And that is my joy.  Neither she nor I may be career minded women, we are family women.  We are wives and mothers first.  She has taught me to be a better wife to my husband and strong mother to my children.  She has taught me to make the most of every single moment in my life and the lives of those who matter most.

My grandma is my hero.  Plain and simple.

And my hero has cancer.

As I sit here and write this  I can not help but let the tears fall.  I can't help it because I can't stop them no matter how hard I try.  As much as I try to put on my sunshine smile and fill my face with happiness a tear or two slips down.  It's been a tough week.  A real tough week.  This cancer is different than the bladder cancer she's been fighting for almost 2 years and can be treated with radiation but it's still all of the unknown that's difficult.  It's still the mere thought of cancer that saddens me.

Please do me a favor and my grandma Helen the honor of putting her in your prayers.  Pray for her to have pain free days, days filled with laughter and memories of her rich past.  Pray for her children, Sandi, Lance, John, Bill and Tommy that they can find peace with what lies ahead.  Pray for her grandchildren and great-grandchildren (all 31 of us!) that we can be a source of joy in her pain.  Pray for her doctors and caregivers to provide her with comfort and kindness.

Linking up with Lisa for Black and White Wednesday so run on over and wish her boy a happy birthday!

21 comments:

Kayce - my heart breaks with you! We will put her in our prayers! I will be praying for you too! Remember God is good and faithful all of the time - lean on Him He will lift you up!

Hugs and blessings - I love the last photo of her! Beautiful!
Jill
http://fnaphotography.blogspot.com

Oh how very sad for your grandma. I lost my second mom (an aunt) last summer after a 10 month battle with cancer. It is such a hard journey to be on.

May God be with you and your family and let her be comfortable.

She is beautiful and sounds like a true hero to me! She will most certainly be in my thoughts.

Yes, I very tough week for you - thank you for sharing so openly. Your grandma sounds like a wonderful lady. I will most certainly be praying for her health.
{{hugs}}

lovely post. a beautiful tribute to your hero.

My Grandma's name was Helen also - she lived 87 amazing years! I will pray for your Grandma . . .

sending hugs :)

ellie

You know I'm praying for her Kayce. With everything I have. Love you!

I am so sorry Kayce. I lost my grandma to cancer, its never easy. I will keep her in my prayers.
Shani

I feel the same way about my grandmother. She was a hero to me and others in my family. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Grace

....so beautifully said...xoxox,me

I am so very sorry to hear this news Kayce..... I know how much your Grandmother means to you. What a special lady.....and a beautiful post.

I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers. Cancer is scary.....but I know she is a fighter. Tell her to stay strong and positive!

Sending lots of love and hugs,

Lisa

Oh Kayce, What a beautiful tribute to this woman who means so much to you. She sounds so much like my mother in many ways. I will pray for her and all that are caring for her. And you too!

love,

Gail

Kayce.. you know how I feel about this and you know I am always here for you ..
You are all in prayers..
I LOVE YOU BIG...

Love this post! It's so heart touching. Your grandma is BEAUTIFUL and sounds like a very great and lovely lady! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a kind comment on my blog!

Oh, Kayce. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. {{hugs}}

You are in my prayers my friend. I lost my Grandmother 2 years ago to lung cancer. If you need someone to talk to, I am here for you.
Much Love,
Kimberley

So sorry to hear about your grandmother. Your post about her is so beautiful. It's easy to understand why she's your hero. I lost my paternal grandmother to cancer in 1997 and I still miss her and wish that she could have met my girls. Her memory is very much alive in our house though.

Erika B

Praying for her and your whole family. Such a sweet woman and photos.

Hugs my friend...

I could have written those same words about my Nan. And I still feel them a year after she has left my world.

I will be praying for her and for you... I know that sweet sweet bond and how much of your life she encompasses. Hold her close and cherish every moment.

What a wonderful tribute of a beautiful women...I will have her on my prayer list this week.

What a beautiful post! I'm still following your blog even though I haven't posted in a while.

I'm so sorry to hear the news, I'll be thinking of you and your family.

Grandmothers are heroes aren't they?

I'm really behind on blog reading. A little late but just wanted to offer hugs and prayers.