18 June 2009

Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 20 comments

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

After much thought and the beginning of a slight overwhelming feeling of stress, Big J and I have an adventure planned and in sight of starting! And let me just say I am counting the seconds!

Originally we wanted to just pack up the car, plug in the iPod and Tom Tom and just see where the road/day took us. We talked about several places to head towards and what we had in mind to do for a week and it looked like it was going to be camping tent style somewhere. I began to look at places to head towards and quickly realized that I might be a bit over my head. I also sat down and did some number crunching and saw that our adventure was going to be pretty spendy considering the cost of gas is over $3.00 a gallon in our neck of California. UGH! I was also beginning to panic over not having some kind of a plan. As much as I LOVE adventure, I live a very planned life thanks to my diabetes and when I veer away from my path, I begin to panic. SOOOO I began to look into other forms of cheaper adventures....something with a bit of consistency that I could count on.

The ideas began to pour out of my brain and out of Big J's mouth...he being all into his laptop now was researching ideas online and came up with a cruise to Mexico or the Bahamas or Alaska. Um sorry dude I said cheeper!! Then he thought we could catch a flight to Hawaii to visit friends and that was quickly nixed due to the fact that Mike is not going on this adventure and going to Hawaii without him would pretty much put me in the dog house. Then we started looking at taking the train somewhere and low and behold an idea was sprouted.

(image courtesy of Google Images)

So on Monday night my soon to be high schooler and I climb aboard the Coastal Starlight for an 18+ hour adventure to Oregon!! We will then disembark in Salem for a week filled with family and friends and good times. The funny thing about this is the fact that it is costing me an eighth of what it was going to cost to go camping for a week! We will then re-board the train for the ride home. I can not wait to see the Cascades in all their glory, the deep depths of the forest, the lull of the tracks as we play cards or read and eat dinner in the dinning car while watching the country side pass us by. I am also very happy that there is still some serious adventure involved yet I get to keep a sense of consistency for my over active-plan-brain I've got. To say that we are excited is an understatement! All aboard! Adventure is just around the corner!

20 comments:

What a great idea! Have a super trip!

Keep smilin!

That sounds like a great trip! Enjoy!!!

CHOO! CHOO! You are so much fun!

Terri

Sounds like you will have a great time. Hope your trip is everything you both imagine it will be.

Oh man, I can't wait to see pictures from you trip. I know you're going to have a fabulous time.

It looks like we're going to miss each other by a couple of days so we'll have to plan on getting together next time I'm in your neck of the woods.

I hope I get to fulfill my promise not to see you again until after you have your referral :)

HOW FUN...
Sounds like a great trip.
can't wait to see photos..
Hugs..
Love ya..
Have fun..

Have a wonderful trip.....sounds like fun!!!

Lisa

Ooh... my MIL lives there! (insert sarcastic voice) Wanna meet her? Because she's so much FUN and such a LOVING woman. Really. Heh.

(And, no, I won't get in trouble for saying this. The husband, he agrees.)

Seriously, though... it's a beautiful area of the country. Enjoy yourself!

Hey Kayce! Nice to "see" you again!
We love trains! What a cool trip. I will have to look into it for Dave one day. He would love to do a sleeping car a la Nick & Nora.
3/29!! Feeling close?
xo~
Di

HOW FUN!!! I'm sure it will be BEAUTIFUL!! Have fun. Take lots of pictures.

No TA news yet. Thanks for asking. Here's hoping next week is a flurry of TA's and REFERRALS!!!

How fun!! I totally love that idea. We have been searching for a vacation for just kevin and I and I have been searching the cruises, mexico and others but think we will just end up in vegas for our 15th year anniversary. I really want to do more but it is just so expensive-- and gas-- it cost me 58 dollars to fill my tank-- ouch!! Anyway, love your idea-- have fun. Will be watching to see how it goes.

Christy :)

I hope both of you have a great time! You're soon to be highschooler will appreciate the bonding time :)

What a blast! You two will have so much fun!

Just caught up on your busy life, and I'm tired just reading about it. There's so much to say, and then nothing at all. You are in my heart and thoughts. Love, Allison

Wow! Have a great time on your adventure! What a unique trip! ;)

I think it's so awesome that you and your son will have such a special time like this together...what the world would be like if more boys had mom's like you.

Enjoy!

I love reading about your adventures! Sounds like something we would do. I'm surprised the train ride was cheaper. I'll have to look into that b/c we've always wanted to do a train trip too. Sweeet!

What an awesome adventure! Have a great time!!!!!

It was so cool to hear of your upcoming adventure!! Have a great time with Big J!!