05 June 2008

Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10 comments

What part of...

...this did you NOT understand?????????

Here is the scene:

Today school lets out at noon.
I work from 9 to 1:30ish
J asks if he can walk home to a friends house, about 4 blocks from school. Once there, they would be alone for about 1 hour more or less, until I got there.
After 3 days of discussing this and thinking about this and telling myself it will be okay. Mike and I say okay BUT here are the rules.

RULES:
1. call me when you leave campus.
2 call me when you arrive at house. Call from house phone so I know you are at said house.

What really happened....
Got the call that J is leaving campus and told he would call when he arrived at friends house. Whoowhoo! He's following directions to a T! Now I can relax and expect to hear from him in about 10 - 15 minutes.............

1 HOUR LATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I get a call. This is AFTER I have gone into complete hysteria and am calling everyone in my phone book sounding like a lunatic mother. My mind has now seen my son kidnapped, ran over by a big truck, or under a bridge getting high! I have no idea if I even finished the house I was working on I was in such a panic. I should have left the house and gone on a massive search, but unfortunately I couldn't, I had to put back all I had undone. I had called Mike and told him and he was calling friends father and said to sit tight for a bit.
As I was leaving the phone rang....

Hi mom! (all chipper!)
I lost it!

LOST IT!!!!!

His explaination....I forgot to call, I'm sorry.

Well that was the FIRST AND LAST time he gets to walk ANYWHERE from school. He's been wanting to walk to his friends house all year and have me pick him up there so I thought today would be a good chance to see if we could do it and trust him and of course my emotions too. Well yeah.

I was such a mess when I got home that J felt horrible and said he learned his lesson and he knows that he lost the chance to do that again for a long time, if ever. I'm glad he understands.

I'm still thankful for him...

10 comments:

Oh Gosh..that has to be hard. I don't think I'm going to let Sophie walk anywhere and be unsupervised until she is at least 18. Maybe 21! Possibly never! :)

At least he felt bad about it. My biggest pet peeve when I worked with pre-teens was when they did something to hurt someone else and they showed no remorse at all. Grrrrrr....

Scary for you, sorry it went down the way it did.
I bet a huge lesson was learnt here, if only they knew we do the things we do because we love them so darned much.

I will let Shauna walk where she wants to walk - with my right on her heels too... hehehe... hey, it just hit me... we just past our 26? 27? month of waiting (LID April 5 '06 - to late at night to figure it out)... take care

I'm sorry he gave you such a horrible fright. On the plus side, he did get to see how upset this made you, and he sounds like the kind of kid who cares enough not to do that to you again.

I feel your pain, Kayc. Last year, we were over the hill at the Modern Art Museum. P was with his father that week. We had just arrived when I got a call. It's my son's father. "Is P with you? I went to pick him up from school and he's not there." Well, no he's not with me! Scared out of my mind. About to turn around and head home (40 min. drive), when his father calls me again. "Since I was late picking him up, he decided to walk to his friend's house. He just called me."

Wow, was he in trouble...

J's such a good kid. I'm sure he understood your worry. You're a good mom!

ARE YOU SURE MY SONS ARE NOT RELATED TO YOUR SON?? MY BOYS ARE THE SAME WAY. I EVEN GOT THEM EACH A CELL PHONE SO THEY COULD STAY IN BETTER CONTACT WITH ME. THE 2 DAYS I WORK A WEEK I USUALLY GET HOME BEFORE THEY GET HOME BUT EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE I WILL BE RUNNING LATE FROM A MEETING AND I WILL CALL THEM AND TELL THEM IM RUNNING LATE. I ALWAYS INSTRUCT THEM TO CALL ME WHEN THEY ARE WALKING HOME FROM THE BUS STOP AND THEN TO CALL ME WHEN THEY GET IN THE FRONT DOOR (THE WALK FROM BUS STOP TO OUR HOUSE IS ABOUT 4 HOUSES-- A 2 MIUNITE WALK IF THEY ARE CRAWLING). ANYWAY, I USUALLY GET THE WE GOT OFF THE BUS CALL BUT NEVER GET THE IM HOME CALL. I USE TO FREAK OUT THINKING SOMETHING HAPPENED BUT NOW I KNOW IT IS JUST MY IRRESPONSIBLE/ ABSENT MINDED SONS. GLAD TO SEE IM NOT ALONE.

CHRISTY :)

Kids just don't getit...
I have all the kids cell phones for this reason...I get to freaked out..
Have a Great Weekend..

When Michael was 11, I got him a pager for this very reason. Phew! I have so many extra gray hairs from parenting that boy!

:)

Donna

oh dear! I HATE BEING A MOTHER SOMETIMES. It make us crazy people! LOL!

Glad it all turned out well!

Have a good weekend Kayce!

Lea
xo

Can anyone say ADHD?!!! My Jacob would have done the EXACT same thing. Too much excitment and too much distraction to remember "the rules". I think when you're raising a kid with ADHD the PARENT's should get the heavy meds!!! HELP!!!

By the way...growing up, I would have been the kid under the bridge...for sure. Be grateful he's not! Big hugs....wine anyone?