12 May 2008

Monday, May 12, 2008 - 5 comments

New Music Mondays

First off...our home is full of thoughts, prayers and much concern for all of those in China today and FL, OK, MO, GA and other states affected by the tornados. May God be with everyone.
********************************************

I've been thinking a lot of how much music helps me. I relax. I calm down. I smile. I just LOVE music. Then I started thinking it would be fun to bring that here, to the blog, so I'm gonna do "New Music Mondays" of course on Monday's, duh! I'll have the song on my player for the week and do a history of the song, artist and writer. I would love to hear what you think of the song, did it bring back memories, have you ever heard it, etc....

Here's the first installment.....

The song chosen for this weeks New Music Monday is Sir Duke by the ever wonderful Stevie Wonder. I chose this song for many reasons, one is it gets you, well at least me, out of my seat and just plain makes you feel good. The lyrics are so telling....

Music is a world within itself
With a language we all understand
With an equal opportunity
For all to sing, dance and clap their hands
But just because a record has a groove
Don't make it in the groove
But you can tell right away at letter A
When the people start to move

They can feel it all over
They can feel it all over people
They can feel it all over
They can feel it all over people

Music knows it is and always will
Be one of the things that life just won't quit
But here are some of music's pioneers
That time will not allow us to forget
For there's Basie, Miller, Satchmo
And the king of all Sir Duke
And with a voice like Ella's ringing out
There's no way the band can lose


Sir Duke was composed by Stevie Wonder and released in 1976 on the album, Songs in the Key of Life and it was a tribute to one of the greatest, Duke Ellington. The song also counts other great music ledgends like Count Basie,Louis Armstron (Satchmo) and the beautiful Ella Fitzgerald all of whom created music that is still alive today in many artists such as Gwen Steffani, Justin Timberlake and Mariah Carey to name a few. Sir Duke made it to #1 on the Billboard charts in the United States in 1977 and was played at the 2004 Democratic National Convention after the Presidential nomination acceptance speech of John Kerry and John Edwards.

I hope you've gotten out of your seat and spun around the room! I really enjoied putting this together and am looking forward to next weeks song...stay tuned!

5 comments:

I love the idea of New Music Mondays! Music is incredibly important to me and it takes me to a place that nothing else can. I LOVE Sir Duke, and I could have told you when it was released because I remember every song - and all the lyrics - from all the hits of the summer I was 5 years old...lol (Lou Rawls, Capt & Tenille and Elton Jon were some others!). We went to the beach every day and my mother blasted her radio, and this was one of those songs. My favorite part is the horn section that comes in after the chorus is sung the second time! If that doesn't move you, you must be in a coma...lol.

I love it!

Lea
xo

PS. Hope you had a fantastic day yesterday!

Music has always been huge in my upbringing and we have made it important for the girls.
We often just have music on, forgetting the T.V.
Jennifer is now reading music, her piano lessons are going wonderfully. It is so beautiful to hear music when your child is playing it!
Thanks for putting together muis to jump start a Monday, wink!!

I'm dancing.....!

Great Idea! I've always liked to listen to music and than I married Dan who LOVES music and I've become an even more avid believer of the benefits of music...great stuff!