02 May 2008

Friday, May 02, 2008 - 10 comments

20 Questions

So Lea asked me how I met my husband on my last post and it got me thinking that I've never done a "ask me anything" question post....so go for it people...ask me what you want, anything! I'll go ahead and answer Lea's question now for your reading pleasure.

Twelve years ago almost 13 (12 years???!!! damn time is flying!) I was working in an emergency vet hospital and my boss was Mike's step-mom. During that time I left my ex and was newly on my own for the first time in 7 years and I was also a new mom. Cynthia, my boss, was a great listener and was so good for me and to me, she kept telling me she'd like to give her son my number, I kept telling her no. I was actually loving being on my own, I'd never done it. I'd never been without someone and I wanted to take at least a year to find myself and just depend on me. And besides I just left a 7 year relationship, I was by no means ready to jump into ANYTHING!!! I also thought that no one would EVER go out with a young single mom, i thought I was destined to a life of singleness. Well after much pestering, Cynthia said that I should at least have lunch or dinner with him, "he's gonna get snatched up and you'll miss the opportunity to meet a wonderful man!". I gave into it. What the hell could it hurt? Four months after I left my true love or so I thought, I gave her permission to give her son my number.

The day he called me I was at my apartment with my ex, his mom and sister. They were trying to find a bed in a reh@b for him, (another story). Anyway, the phone rings and we all thought it was someone calling us back with good news and gee my ex answered the phone...."Is Kayce there??" UMMMMMMMMM I take the phone from him while the three of them are looking at me with questions in their eyes. I walked into the bathroom and got into the shower and shut the door so no one would hear me.

"Hello, this is Kayce"
"Hi Kayce, this is Mike W....."
"oh hey,how are you" At this point I'm freaking out that my ex is in the other room with his mom and that they are listening to me....
"um would you like to go to dinner with me next Sunday, you don't work that night right?"
"Yeah I don't work on Sundays, and sure I'd love to go out to dinner with you."

SO, plans made I walk out to the waiting crowd. With a smile on my face. I was going on my first ever completely blind date. And my ex and his family are sitting right here staring at me.

I opened my door to him several days later. I had no idea what to expect. My heart went bump and my skin when goosey and I fell in love at first sight. We had a WONDERFUL date, dinner with us chatting the ENTIRE time and a LONG walk on the beach after. At the end of the night he tried to kiss me, but missed and kissed my hair. I laughed. I skipped to my door and turned to see if he was gone. He was still standing there, looking at me.

We had our second date two days later.

We've been together ever since. We dated almost a year before I moved in and lived together, bought our first home and loved each other for four years before we got married. We will be celebrating 8 years of absolute blissful marriage on May 20th.

The funny thing about this blind date relationship is the fact that Mike was by no means my type. I always dated guys who were blond, big and a$$holes. We still laugh at that. Funny thing for Mike is that I really wasn't his type either, his ex is very petit and perfectly done up. I tower over her and look like a mess next to her. (Or so I think) I have learned from this experience that we shouldn't always pursue what we think we like, explore other ideas and you may find a gem like I did.

So there is the story, now go ahead and ask away folks!! Come on all you lurkers.....

Happy Friday!

10 comments:

AWWWWW!!! THAT IS SUCH A COOL STORY!!! WHAT A FUN THING TO BE ABLE TO TELL YOUR KIDS. I LOVE HOW YOU PUT "BLISSFUL MARRRIAGE" THAT IS QUITE A STATEMENT AND I DONT THINK MANY CAN SAY THAT SO YOU GUYS ARE OBVIOUSLY PERFECT FOR EACHOTHER. GREAT STORY AND THANKS FOR SHARING-- HAY MAYBE YOU CAN TALK TO LAURA GRID*EY ABOUT THE WRONG MEN FOR HER-- POOR THING-- SHE JUST MOVED OUT AND THEY ARE FILING PAPERS SOON-- MAKES ME SAD BUT THIS GUY WAS A BIG A**HOLE.

CHRISTY

Ok, that is a wonderful first meeting story!! And you guys look fabulously happy together.

Awww.. love that story.
You two look so happy together.

I'll have to try to think of a question....

I love a good love story!

You two are so cute I might need to go hug my kids or something...

What a great story! When things are meant to be, they are meant to be.

What a great story! You are such a beautiful couple.

Lisa

what a fantastic beginning! Basically, love at first sight. thanx Kayce!

You are an awesome looking couple!

Lea

PS. i have i told you that I LOVE your writing style?!

I adored your last post, you have the most!! gorgeous fur babies ever!! They made me melt!!
I love the picture of you and your husband. The post of how you met was wonderful, I love happy endings. ;)
My question to you, if you could have dinner with anyone in the world , who would it be and why?

I can't even think of a question I'm so wrapped up in the love story man!! You guys look so happy together :O)

I'll have to brainstorm on a question though.