01 November 2008

Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 7 comments

Stuck in a book


I've been a bit lackadaisical posting lately, sorry. There of course is a lot going on in the casa, new stove (pictures to come...it's BEAUTIFUL!), constant nausea...(it's getting better), and Halloween, but my true reason is that I've been nose deep into reading. This time of year I could spend all day with the fire going, coffee at the ready and a good book. I actually almost took Thursday off and told J he could stay home with me and we could read all day. He was thoughtful about this for about a second and said no....too many tests today and that we could wait one more day since we had Friday off already. Okay okay! The ever practical son.

A few weeks ago I FINALLY finished Dead Man Walking (Sister Helen Prejean), it took me over a month to finish it. A very intense read and I was WAY ready to move on to something else when I finished it. After that I picked up Little House in the Ozarks: The Rediscovered writings of Laura Ingalls Wilder, oh what a treasure. I have loved reading it, SO GOOD! And now I have started on my winter reading list...my mom dropped off a box of books...check out the titles....

She's Come Undone (Wally Lamb)
Stones from the River (Ursula Hegi
Mrs. Dalloway (Virginia Woolf)
Arranged Marriage (Chitra Divakaruni)
The Mombo Kings Play Songs of Love ( Oscar Hijuelos)
Angle of Repose (Wallace Stegner)
Midnight's Children (Salman Rushdie)
The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)
A Yellow Raft in Blue Water (Michael Dorris)
The Time Traveler's Wife (Audrey Niffenegger)
Middlesex (Jeffrey Eugenides)
Snow Falling on Cedars (David Guterson)
The Color of Water (James McBride)
The Crossing (Cormac McCarthy)
Walking on Air (Pierre Delatte)
The Corrections (Jonathan Franzen)
The Hundred Secret Senses (Amy Tan)
We'll Meet Again (Mary Higgins Clark)
The Power of One (Bryce Courtnay)
The Lady and the Unicorn (Tracy Chevalier)
Their Eyes Were Watching God (Zora Neale Hurston)
Interpreter of Maladies (Jhumpa Lahiri)
Kabul, (M.E. Hirsh)
Dreaming in Cuban (Cristina Garcia)
Killer Code (john Walker)
Small Wonder (Barbara Kingsolver)
Continental Drift ( James D. Houston)
The Magician's Assistant (Ann Patchett)
A River Sutra (Gita Mehta)
Bird by Bird (Anne Lamott)
Genghis Khan (Jack Weatherford)
Memories of My Melancholy (Garcia Marquez)
Amsterdam (Ina McEwan)
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (Lisa See)
Bel Canto (Ann Patchett)
The Right Attitude to Rain (Alexander McCall Smith)
All the Pretty Horses (McCarthy)
The Birth of Venus (Sarah Dunant)
Palace Walk (Naguib Mahfouz)
Too Close to the Falls (Catherine Gildiner)

I spent yesterday finishing up Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. OMG. I finished it in 2 days and had to restrain myself from starting it again. Of course the story had me thinking non stop of our daughters ancestors. What a story.

After that I picked out, She's Come Undone. I'll be diving into that as soon as I get a few chores done today. After that I don't know...anyone have any advice from the list above? Have you read any of these titles? What was your favorite and why? IF by chance you haven't read any of these and need a good review of books, check out my sister-in-law's little space in the universe.

Other than hibernating for the winter we're pretty mellow here for the weekend. Halloween was quiet since Jacob was with a friend and Mike and I spent the night discussing what Jennifer will be for Halloween next year and it's quite stormy, YEAH! and my ever awesomely handsome husband is installing my new stove. Oh and speaking of books, you must check out my book blog and see the great sale going on.........Go Barefoot With Me.

7 comments:

I've read several of those, and The Time Traveler's Wife is one of my all time favorites.

:-)

Have you read Wild Swans? I think it's a good read for moms adopting daughters from China.

The only one I've read is Wally Lamb - She's Come Undone. Both of his books are great.

Happy reading Kayce!!

"lackadaisical"
good word!
spending all day with a good book in front of the fire with the pups snuggled close sounds like a perfect day to me!

U sound like you need to do this right now. Hope u get feeling better soon.

Lea
xo

Interpreter of Maladies and All the Pretty Horses are great reads.

I've printed this list out, there are a few I think I will check out.

Have a great week.

(((hugs)))

Oh I am SO addicted to 'Snow Flower and the Secret Fan' that I need a 12 step program with that... I have it on my iPod, I have the book, I even have a copy of the book signed by Lisa See for Shauna... I have read that book twice... I just love it... the book I am reading now is a Japanese one 'Plum Wine', I have 'Spring Moon' (China one) and 'Secret Life of Bees' but haven't started that one yet... now just to find the time to read them... hehehe