16 July 2008

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 8 comments

Has it really been 20?

A few weeks ago I got an email from a high school classmate who is getting ready for our 20th class reunion and locating classmates around the world. Oh the glee I felt! Really, I was feeling pretty excited to think that I'll get to see people from high school again soon. Then I really started thinking about the last 20 years of my life and trying to think of what the other people in my class have been doing in the last 20.

OMG!

Am I ready for this?
Am I really going to put myself in that space, that unsure ground?
Has my life really been all that interesting to go and share it with the past?

I've never really had a problem with aging, I actually am looking forward to it. Thank you mom! But now that I look at the last 20 years I am confused with myself, am I 20 years older or am I still acting like I'm 20 years younger. Well for fact I KNOW I am not acting like I did when I was 18, but I sure as hell want to and wish I could. But....and here's the kicker, I know I can't. I can not stay up past 11pm anymore, nor can I eat It's It's for lunch and In-n-Out for breakfast and dinner. I no longer have the body of an 18 year old that's for sure! I'm still carrying around the leftover baby gut, 13 freaking years later! But I still dress a little more young than Opr*ah thinks a 36 year old should dress, gasp I still wear mini skirts! Does that make me young? I don't know, but I feel good when I'm in a mini, I feel ummmm hot(?). But am I looking old?? and dressing young??? Should I go to Ann T@ylor and pick up a twinset?

So when I walk into my 20th, can I say I've climbed my way up the corporate ladder or saved someone today or maybe that I've traveled the world and made my first million on the road. No. Nope, I can't. What I will say isn't glorious and I'm afraid to say I'm slightly embarrassed. Ewww that hurt to write down. What should I be embarrassed about you ask...I guess my lack of success. The success I had in the corporate world was great, but not fulfilling. The person I tried to save, died. (In a car accident I witnessed 17 years ago.) I haven't traveled the world, yet. Yet! And I've yet to make millions. Maybe while I'm traveling to China I'll find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow....okay yeah I'm dreaming of the gold that is, I know what's at the end of the rainbow for me in China. wink!

Will I go to the reunion. Yeah. I'm dying to go. I want to hear of the success of my classmates. I want to feel those high school feelings again. (Well maybe not the BS crap of gossip and cliques.) But I also want to share with them the things I have had success in. Yeah I'm gonna share those with you right now, did you think I wouldn't???


I have the MOST incredible husband who loves me for ME, just me. Crazy, funny, flirtatious ME. He brightens my day and provides me with enough love to last 10 lifetimes. Just because.

I am a great mom to the best son. Who is proud to have me as his mom, even as a teenager. And I am equally proud to be his mom.

I am in the middle of the most incredible journey to a child. A child who has already changed my life and made my past successes seem worthless because the success of having her in my arms will be my biggest success ever.

I have a beautiful home.

I have my own business. Okay Okay I know I'm a house cleaner, but I LOVE IT! AND...having my own business provides me the opportunity to be available to my son and future daughter anytime, anywhere, anyway, anyhow.

AND....I'm healthy. 29 years and going strong of being diabetic.

Now I just need to work on my hair, makeup and what little black dress I should wear. I've got 2 years to get ready! Do you think they'll recognize me??

8 comments:

I so hear you on this. I have since had a change of heart about not going to my 20 year. High School was not an easy time for me, but this is a chance to go back and show how much I have changed, and grown and maybe re-conect woth some people I haven't spoken to in a very long time. I have been in contact with some of them on Facebook and it has been a blast cacthing up!

P.S. 20 years!!!!! How is that even possible???

I think it would be interesting..
I graduated in a class of 22.. so it would be fun..
But most of them still live in the same little area that we all grew up in..
Have a Great Week...

Hey I remember those Dorothy Hamill hair-do's! I skipped my 20th but wish I had gone. I hear they are way better than the 10 yr. People are more relaxed, not trying to impress and just interested in each other. Hope you have a great time!

If your 20 year is in 2 years, then you graduated in 1990...right?! I did as well. Here's something I'm proud of....I got carded last night at the grocery store buying beer!!! I wanted to kiss the lady for asking....36 and still getting carded (well, sometimes), that's something to be proud of, right?!
I'm looking forward to my 20 year. I'm still very close friends with many of High School and GRADE school friends. It's awesome!
Your whole life is a success Kayce. Happy marriage, happy kid, on the journey of a lifetime (which, as we all know, is taking a lifetime)...YOU'LL be the one everyone is jealous of at the reunion!

Go gettem Sista! YOU ARE A SUCCESS!!!

Doreen in Montreal Mom to Faith-Jiangxi & Mia-Sichuan

You are still as adorable as you where in that picture!

Lea
xo

You're a brave woman posting a picture of yourself as a kid!

I decided a long time ago that if my HS ever had a reunion I wouldn't go. I didn't keep in touch with anybody so...

HAY DID YOU GRADUATE FROM CLAREMONT? IF SO ARE YOU COMMING DOWN HERE FOR THE RUNION?? IF SO WE MUST GET TOGETHER. I AM SURE LAILA WOUDL LOVE TO SEE YOU AGAIN ALSO.

YOU ARE SO BRAVE TO WANTT TO GO TO THE THE HS REUNION. I WOULD NEVER GO. I WAS JUST A DIFFERENT PERSON BACK THEN AND I AM SURE MOST OF MY CLASSMATES WOUDL HAVE THOUGHT I WOULD NOT HAVE EVER EVEN DONE ANYTHING IN MY LIFE-- OH WELL!!

CHRISTY :)