19 May 2008

Monday, May 19, 2008 - No comments

New Music Monday

Welcome to the second installment of New Music Monday's! This week is extra special to me because the music for this week was all played on a special day in my life, my wedding. Tomorrow my husband and I will celebrate our 8th year of marriage, 8 years of pure bliss and love and of course music! I've got the shuffle on the player this week for you as there are several songs to enjoy.

When I thought of my wedding I always knew that music would play an intricate role during the day. I wanted the day to have a soundtrack that would be remembered by all who were there and most of all by Mike and I. We had a hard time finding a DJ who would be comfortable with letting us run the show, we did find a great guy who ended up having a "stellar night!" So with out further chat...here are the highlights of our wedding soundtrack with artist and song bio and why we chose that song for what part in our day.


As we entered our reception, one of our favorite singer/songwriters, Lenny Kraviz was belting out "I Belong To You". The song set the mood for the night and our guests immediately knew that the night was going to be fabulous! I was introduced to the sounds of Lenny in 1989 and was out the next day to buy his debut album, Let Love Rule. His funk/folk/reggae/rock/soul style is powerful and his lyrics tell stories of life, love and loss. The lyrics of this song speak of a love so much like Mike's and mine that when we first heard it on the 5 album, we knew this song was perfect.
You make me feel so divine
Your soul and mind are entwined
Before you I was blind

But since Ive opened my eyes
And with you theres no disguise
So I could open up my mind

I always loved you from the start
But I could not figure out
That I had to do it everyday

So I put away the fight
Now Im gonna live my life
Giving you the most in every way


***
Our first dance as husband and wife was to the song, Someone Like You by Mike's favorite artist Van Morrison. This song was actually the first dance we had as a couple and it has been "our song" ever since. Morrison's 1987 album, Poetic Champions Compose, was considered to be one of his highlights of the 1980s. The romantic ballad, "Someone Like You", from this album was featured in the soundtrack of several popular movies, including 1995's French Kiss and, in 2001, both Someone Like You and Bridget Jones's Diary.

Van Morrison is a legend in music with such hits as Brown Eyed Girl, Domino, Into the Mystic, and Moondance to name just a few. Morrison's career, spanning some five decades, has influenced many popular musical artists. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993 and the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2003. In 2000, Morrison ranked #25 on American cable music channel VH1's list of its 100 greatest artists of rock and roll, and in 2004, Rolling Stone Magazine ranked Van Morrison 42nd on their list of The Immortals: 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.

***
The song "Somebody's Baby" by Jackson Browne was played during the removal and toss of my garter! Ha that was so cool!!! That song has such meaning to me in my relationship with Mike, every time I hear it I am reminded how loved I am. My license plate is SMBDZBB as is my email. The plate was a gift the Christmas before we wed.

The song was written in 1982 and it was Browne's last top ten song, and his highest-charting song ever. The song was never on any of his albums but was on the soundtrack for Fast Times at Ridgemont High and was later released on his "best-of" compilation The Next Voice You Hear: The Best of Jackson Browne. Browne is one of my personal favorite song writers of all time, his music can be heard from the lips of Joan Baez, Tom Rush, The Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, the Byrds and Steve Noonan, among others. Browne's work has reputation for its compelling melodies, clear, honest, and insightful lyrics, and a flair for composition rarely seen in the world of rock and roll. He is often referred to as "a thinking man's rock star." While "Somebody's Baby" is one of his most popular songs credited to the Fast Times soundtrack, I am more drawn to his melodic voice in songs like "Late For The Sky", "These Day's", "Lives in the Balance" and the Eagles hit, "Take it Easy".

I could go on and on with other songs from our day, but we'd be here a long time and I'd also run out of future New Music Monday's! See you next week....

0 comments: